Wednesday, October 20, 2004

clever at subway

I wanted to document this so that it isn't lost. My greatest downfall is being clever. I can never resist trying to be clever and it always backfires. Every single freaking time.

Except for yesterday. I went to subway and ordered my usual - Turkey/Bacon on Italian bread, lettuce only. When my sandwich artist got to the vegetables part of the order he glanced up at me when I said "lettuce only". "No sauce or anything?" he asked and I said no and that I like it "extra plain".

Normally, this would result in dazed look in the person's eyes, but this time - my artist got the mild joke. He chuckled lightly, then said - "hey, it's better for you anyway".

And when he rang up the order, he stopped in the middle and said he might be able to make it cheaper. He did some kind of combo order thing and saved me about 50 cents. Not much, granted, but it was still a nice gesture.

So, in summary:

I said something mildly clever
The 'victim' got the joke
I got a better deal on my sub

The curse of backfiring cleverness is broken. Let the bells ring out my victory - I can be clever again!

Back to work, where I may attempt to be clever. Ha!

No comments: