Wednesday, October 01, 2008

20, usb, swim

One of the staff members in my optometrist's office recommended following the 20/20/20 rule: After 20 minutes of looking at a computer screen, look 20 feet away for 20 seconds. Since I seem to be getting more headaches than usual, I have decided to give it a try with a little timer on my desktop that goes off every 20 minutes. A few things I've noticed since I started doing this:

1. Working here in the cube farm it's difficult to find anything interesting to look at 20 feet away. Even standing up, it's still damn boring. I need to put up some Hello Kitty stickers or something near the ceiling in some key areas that I can look at every 20 minutes.

2. Even though it's a short break, it still feels like the day is broken down into 20 minute chunks - which is not a bad thing. Makes the time seem to go faster.

3. The chime on the timer is not the most annoying sound I know - but it's pretty close.

In other news... I tried to help my room-mate get some new vechicle icons downloaded onto his Garmin - except the darn thing has a non-standard USB connector that the cables we have don't fit. What the hell are they doing re-inventing a USB cable? And why? So, I'm on a quest to find a cable that will work - and I'm really hoping that it won't require some kind of custom and therefore really expensive cable. Wankers.

My swim today was a good one - I tried a little freestyle (which is really draining for some reason) and a little Butterfly. I can do the arm motion okay on the butterfly, but the kick is without any power. I'm used to a surge of motion with the breaststroke kick and the kick with the butterfly does nothing for me. I must be doing it wrong.

Almost time to go home for the day. Looking forward to working on the costume and playing some video games - especially Lego Batman.

later...

No comments: