Wednesday, October 22, 2008

side effects, costume, frost

I was watching a bit of TV recently - which I've been trying to avoid until the election is over and the ads are stopped - and while I usually tune out the increasingly strident commercials in general, my attention was drawn to a new migraine medicine. It promised to offer relief - and then went on to list the dozens of potentially serious side effects. The side effects sounded terrible - and what about the poor people who helped test this stuff? I think I'd rather have a migraine.

My room-mate went in for allergy tests - the doctors thought there might be an allergy that is causing his occasional wheezing. According to the allergy clinic, he's allergic to a ton of different things. And the recommended "treatment" is 5 allergy shots every week for a year. And then five more every month for another year. He said the doctor has to be in the room when they give him the shot since it's essentially a dose of allergen and the the reaction could kill him. Potentially. The end results - after a couple years and thousands of dollars - will most likely be a lessening of the allergy. Maybe.

Sounds like the doctors and drug companies need to learn how to "help" and not hinder. Granted, hindering is more fun, but it's also kinda mean if you're serious about it.

I'm wrapping up my costume - just a couple more details to go. Also, I'm helping my room-mate with his costume again this year. It's more work, but I can make better use of the 'dry-times' by going back and forth. I'm really starting to get into the spirit of Halloween again - bought some candy last night and I think some pumpkin carving is in my near future.

Finally, I left my car out last night and this morning I had to scrape off the windshield. Winter is on the way...

That's it for now... later...

No comments: