Monday, October 20, 2008

shoes, swim

I try, frequently, to not 'want' things. A casual association with material possessions seems to suit me better - and it's got a Buddhist feel to it. That's not to say that I don't purchase things that I enjoy, I just try to not get wrapped up in the ownership of them.

There are two exceptions to this - and one of those was completed this weekend. Converse shoes. I've long wanted a pair of converse shoes - just because they look so damn cool. But, every time I looked at them and looked at the prices, the sheer impracticality of spending that much money on shoes put me off. This weekend, however, I found that Target had them for $30. And in brown - which I think, as a geek, I can wear with my kaki's to work.

The other item is a truck. I think at some point in my life I should own a truck. Not really sure why - and that's a main reason I haven't bought one yet. What, exactly, does one need a truck for? Hauling stuff. And I don't do that very often. Even the times where I've purchased some lumber or something - well, the back seats of my car fold down and I can put a lot in there.

So, the impracticality of it seems to have stopped me. Along with the price, the fact I don't know how to drive a stick shift, and lack of fuel economy, size vs. parking issues, and the lessor passenger space.

In other news... I did a mile in the pool last Friday. Not a big deal, I've done that before. I think I was a little faster than usual and I felt stronger in the water than I usually do. The interesting part was how I felt after the swim. I felt... rested. Like I'd just had a really comfortable nap. A sort of "slightly groggy happy". Not what I would have expected after a long swim, but a good feeling.

That's it for now... later...

No comments: