Sunday, October 12, 2008

atomic, wedding, life

I had a dream the other night that pretty much lasted all night. Now, I know that dreams only last a few moments and our brains try to fill in the gaps to make a story, but this time I kept waking up to go to the bathroom and falling right back into the same dream.

I was working at and giving a tour of a massive research facility powered by something we called "the atomic pile". Apparently, during one of the tours I was doing, the atomic pile went critical and was about to release a radiation cloud on the ground floor and out in the surrounding area. The group I was with was -at the time - on the basement level. I tried to keep order and suggested that we head down into the sub-sub-sub-basement levels that I knew had once been designated as a fall-out shelter. The group grew as we went along until there were a hundred of us or so. As we reached the entrance to the sub-basements, about half the group split off and decided they would risk staying at the basement level. I cautioned them that we didn't know how bad the radiation would be - but they angrily refused. The rest of us headed deeper into the facility and safety. However, we didn't have enough supplies for the size of the group. So, for the next few weeks, I led what I hoped were peaceful missions to the basement level for more supplies - since that group has more than enough. Each time, though, they got more and aggressive and the radiation started to affect them mentally. Finally, it degenerated into a series of attacks and counter-attacks - with me at the lead since I was the only one that knew the access codes to the lower levels. In our last mission before I woke up, I had lead a team for supplies and we were ambushed. I had what I thought was a flare gun with me and fired it - hoping to startle the crazed basement level group. Instead, it was a gas gun and I ended up incapacitating one of my own crew.

When it was finally time to get up in the morning, I was relieved and exhausted from my night's sleep. I think it was a combination of the "Time Machine" (crazed morlocks?) - and "Lost" (with me as Dr. Jack Shepard.)

I went to a wedding over the weekend and ended up helping with much of the decorations. I was one of the few designated "tall dudes" and helped with hanging lights and tule. I did a lot of the work on this - but balked at the decorations that needed to be hung from the rafters of the lodge where the reception was being held. If there was a child up there, trapped and in danger, then I would easily brave the heights. For lights and tule? No freaking way.

The wedding itself was okay - though it was held outdoors and started almost 45 mintues late. We were sitting in the sun - fending off heatstroke and bees - and when it finally started, the minister did not make any friends in the crowd with his long winded and frankly fairly negative commentary. "through the good and bad" leaning toward the bad. I dunno what was up with that.

I helped again with moving the chairs in and dinner started pretty late since the photographer got lost. I ended up with a headache and didn't do much partying. Plus, the DJ played the same music you hear at every wedding. I mean, really, there's like a billion songs out there - something other than the "Electric slide" would have been awesome.

Finally, I hung out with my room-mate's niece and nephew for a bit this weekend. There was some family strife going on and I did my best to keep them distracted. We did a little origami and play the "Game of Life". The rules were a bit different than I remembered. For one, there were more stops on the board to do things like draw a career card and decide on family paths. One of the kids drew the "Doctor" card and it looked like he would have the clear advantage. I got the Lawyer card and did pretty well though the game. The other player - despite having a lower paying career at the start and switching jobs several times - ended up landing on a lot of the "Life" spaces - gaining a stack of Life cards for things like taking a trip or meeting famous people. When all was said and done, the Doctor came in last - his salary wasn't enough to beat my middle of the road. His sister - with her stack of life cards - won the game by a landslide once the cards were translated into a monitary value.

The doctor and the lawyer lost the game to someone who had a far more interesting life. It was interesting to me and I tried to convey that to the kids - almost a life lesson that the most money didn't always mean the most sucessful life.

I was reminded a bit of one of my co-workers - who, despite being my age almost exactly, has had this far more hugely intersting life - filled with adventure and world travel and a collection of friends that would be too implausible for even a sitcom. I think I envy that a bit. Not that my life sucks or anything, but it is far more low key. Of course, I am then reminded of Mr. Adventure in Star Trek 3 who complains to Uhura that his life as a transporter technician is far too low key - right before she pulls a phaser on him and locks him in the closet. Adventure can be fun - but not always.

Not looking forward to work tomorrow - I think I will have far more than my usual level of disasters to repair tomorrow.

that's it for now...

No comments: