Friday, September 12, 2008

shared lane

So, I'm in the pool today and I'm doing my laps and there's a guy getting ready to get in the lane next to mine. And by getting ready, I mean he was folding up his red-tipped white cane. He's visually impaired. Which is not a big deal in the pool - I've seen him before and while he's not fast, he does okay. Except he didn't get in the lane next to mine - he got in my lane. I realized this on my way back and just floated there, facing him for a moment while I figured out what to do. I thought I might be able to share the lane, but he does tend to wander and I didn't think I could avoid him. So, I ducked under the water and moved outside the lanes. I don't think he realized what was going on at all.

Being outside the lanes meant that, for my last lap, I decided to go diagonally across the rest of the pool. It ended up being about a lap and a half and while I felt like I was breaking some kind of rule or something, I was completely ignored.

that's about it for now... I'm glad the week is just about done. later...

No comments: