Saturday, December 10, 2005

something in my soup

Today, for lunch, I had Campbell's Chunky soup, with sirloin burger and country vegetables - and brown rice. Anyone looking though my kitchen cabinets will find many more cans of this same soup - it's something of a staple for me. Today, however, I was surprised by what I discovered.

In the middle of a bite, I bit down on something that I couldn't immediately identify. Which is odd all by itself since I'm deeply familier with this soup and rice combo. It "felt" like I was biting into a piece of wood.

I spit it out and it sure looked like a small piece of wood on closer examination. It had grains and the texture and hardness were along the lines of wood - though there was a small hook-like protrusion on one side. Since I can't imagine how wood would enter into the soup making process (except maybe a wooden crate with vegetables in it - though I would hope they have a filter for that sort of thing) - I studied it a little more carefully and decided it must have been the solid core of a carrot. It was the only vegetable that might have produced this unique shape - though the hardness was unusual.

I check the rest of the soup and discovered no other weird items. Still, it was damn odd and I'm going to see if I can get a picture.

That's it for this update - though I will say that holiday shopping today wasn't as bad as I feared. With the exception of Best Buy - it was worse than I expected.

Later...

No comments: