Wednesday, January 23, 2008

lighting, game vs. work, elliptical

My room-mate decided he wanted to put in some dimmer switches on the dining room and upstairs bathroom lights. He was off yesterday and went to Lowe's to buy the dimmer switches and was working on the dinning room when I got home. He had trouble removing the old switch and accidentally broke off the wires in the switch - so, we really needed to get the new one installed and were running out of daylight.

I started helping and we read the instructions and tried several combinations. Either the dimmer didn't work, we got nothing, or the wires in the switch started to heat up and glow. I'm not an expert on this, but I'm pretty sure that's a problem.

Finally, about to give up, we looked at the packaging and realized that he had bought two different types of switches - and we were using the wrong type for the set up we had. So, we opened up the other switch, installed it according to the directions, and it worked perfectly.

A variety of lessons learned with that task. Mainly that I need to do a little more research on electrical wiring and perhaps review some first-aid training. Just in case...

I tried to get Overlord to play again last night - still no good. I was, however, able to install an old copy of dreamweaver so that I could do some work at home. Now, that's just wrong. I can't play games, but I can work? At home? Seems really unfair. I blame Vista.

I used the elliptical last night - first time since it had been fixed. Worked fine, though it seemed a little wobbly. I'll need to look into that I guess.

Anyway, that's it for now. Back to work and finally back to the pool today after my jury duty.

later...

No comments: