Tuesday, September 13, 2005

lumber, solder, update from mom, and vampires

A quick stop at Home depot for wood screws and I was ready to begin my headboard project in earnst. Though, as it turns out, I didn't get to that part. Took me a while to get everything set up in the front of my apartment and just as I was ready to fire up the circular saw and cut my lumber, my neighbors cames out and started talking two doors down from me. I went back in and started my laundry, then watered my plant, but they were still there. So, I just picked up the circular saw and turned to them until I got their attention. I apolgised for the noise in advance and they said it wouldn't bother. 10 seconds later they had all gone back into their apartment. Hey, I warned them. The sawing when pretty smoothly, but I thought that the sound of one power tool in the evening would be more than enough, so I packed that project up and started on the soldering project while I still had light.

In between there, I called my mom since I hadn't been able to get a hold of her yesterday. She was happy to hear from me, but couldn't talk as they were getting ready for a wedding at the shelter where she has been volunteering. So, I told her I'd call her later and I went back to my soldering.

The new soldering iron I got worked great! I think I might actually be able to produce something worthwhile - though I had a little trouble with the outer edges. Still, not bad for my second attempt. I worked on that until it got too dark to see, then I went inside to have dinner while everything cooled off enough to put away.

Mom called me back after dinner and said that the wedding went really well - and all the "gear" (dresses, cake, tuxes, etc) had been donated. So, she was helping get stuff returned - and apparently trying to chase down the flower girls who were having too much fun.

She's doing well, but she's tired and ready to come home. I gues the scheduleing has been weird - alternatly shorthanded and then overflow. She sounded like she's in good spirits and in her element - helping people and organizing things. :)

After talking to mom, I fired up the playstation and made some progress on castlevania: Lament of Innocence. For a vampire hunting game, there really aren't many vampires so far. I would have also liked to see more selection in the weapons - but the whip will just have to do for now.

Well, I think it's going to be a busy day for me - better get to it...

No comments: