Thursday, April 14, 2005

"Your total comes to -$3"

I did a good thing this afternoon while I was getting my lunch. Stopped off at the bank machine first and got $30 out - then headed to the Student Union to get sushi, fried rice, and a pepsi (since they don't sell coke on campus).

There was a line for the checkout and they were pretty busy. When I got up to the front the cashier rang up my meal and said, "$7.00". I handed her a $10 and almost didn't catch when she said, "out of $20". She was moving pretty fast and I saw her put the $10 in the cash register in the $20 slot, then grabbed a $10 and 3 ones, which she started to hand to me. I stopped her, told her that I'd given her a $10. She looked puzzled and I asked her to open the cash drawer again. I pointed to the $20 slot and indicated the $10 she'd put there by mistake. Realizing her mistake made her a little flustered - so I helped out and told her that she owned me 3 dollars back. She thanked me, handed me my change, and I went on my way.

I guess I'm used to certain rhythem to a transaction for a meal and it took me a few seconds to catch the error. If I hadn't, she would have been off by the cost of my meal, and I would have gotten my lunch for $-3 dollars.

The sushi was pretty good, the rice wasn't that great, and the pepsi was pretty much the same as any other pespi I'd had - i.e. not as good as a coke.

There's my good deed for the day - quick thinking and a little honesty.

Back to work...

No comments: