Tuesday, July 19, 2005

the mythos of the comic book - plus, my grandmother kayaks

I'm 32 years old and I still read comics. Not ashamed of it either. Hey, it's one of the reasons I've got a job - to support my comic book habit. But why do I still read them when they are so easy to dismiss?

The stories. Every month - good vs evil. The age old struggle to protect the innocent from those who would harm them. While Superman is at the top of the heap, he's not my favorite - though there is a good discussion of Supes in Kill Bill vol.2 that I recommend. My fav is the Flash - an everyday dude that has been gifted with incredible powers and who stuggles every day to protect his community and at times the entire world from those that mean it harm. He does this by running fast - but that's a simplification.

Over the span of several issues, the Flash out-races Death itself beyond the boundaries of time to save himself and the woman he loves. He runs faster than an instantaneous signal to win a bet and save the earth. And in one issue - which all takes place over the span of a second - the Flash saves the entire Justice League.

His story is about doing the right thing - no matter the cost. And when he - or anyone in the Flash legacy - makes a mistake, he takes responsibility and tries to make it right.

Ultimately, even with all his power, he's still human - he's real, he's accessible. And he never gives up.

All that for a couple bucks a month - not bad, eh?


In other news...talked to my sister last night. She relayed to me that our 74 year old grandmother went kayaking recently - and loved it. She's thinking about getting her own and paddling up and down the river. Go grandma!

That's it for now - back to work...

No comments: