Sunday, March 29, 2009

walk, race, quantum

I went for a long walk on Saturday, about 4 miles or so.   No real purpose except to get out of the house.   I planned my route, adjusted the laces on my shoes, and headed out for Walmart.  

Not exactly an epic quest, but still a bit of an adventure.   I stopped at Home Deport to get some pricing on materials for a couple projects I have in mind and then over to Walmart to pick up Quantum of Solace.    

During my walks, I sent a text message and made a couple of calls.   I hit voice mail on a couple of those, but talked to my grandma for a bit.   She was headed out again in a bit, but we talked for a little while and I mentioned my swimming.  She offered to make a donation to the Swim for Diabetes and though I tried to talk her out of it, she was insistent.  I gave up quickly - I've seen grandma argue with people and she usually wins.    It was near the beginning of the conversation and she was planning on a nap before she went out - so, good chance she'll forget.  I appreciate the sentiment, but she's diabetic herself and it seems like you shouldn't have to donate to find a cure for a disease you have.   

Anyway, it was a good walk and I'm glad I went.   I got a response on the text message a few minutes after I got home.  No time for shower - just some additional deodorant and a clean shirt and I was out the door.   Went and saw Race to Witch Mountain - good flick.  The effects were good and it didn't take itself too seriously.   The kids from the original movies - now all grown up - had significant cameos in the movie and ended up moving the story along.   I thought they were great back when the first movies came out and it was cool to see them again.

Later in the evening, I watched Quantum of Solace on DVD.    Also a good flick.   Good story, intense action.     I think Daniel Craig is a great James Bond and Judi Dench plays an excellent M - but the interplay between the two characters is the best part.  

Today has been pretty quiet.   Did a lot of reading - just about to finish up the last of the Academy series of books by Jack McDevitt.     Watched some Eureka on DVD and I'm now listening to a little Ingid Michaelson on CD.    Might work on my personal website a bit.

Less than one week before I hit the pool for a long swim.   later...

No comments: