Monday, March 16, 2009

laptop, walk, email

I'm on a laptop here this morning.  No word yet on how soon the replacement board will come in for my dual monitor machine, so, to avoid the wrath of my cube neighbors, I decided to borrow a laptop and work quietly.  Not a big deal - though I don't have admin access on this machine and ran into some flash-issues because I couldn't install it.

I also recently got the latest version of Adobe Creative Suite - but that's on the main and still very noisy machine.  I would have liked to take that for a spin today, but there's other work to be done anyway.

Over the weekend I went for a long walk.   My room-mate needed a prescription picked up and Rite Aid was within my effective range.   Took me about an hour round trip and though the weather was nice, there were two problems.

1. The trash.  I was amazed and dismayed at how much litter was along side the roads.   Beer bottles, plastic bags and wrappers and one very obviously used diaper.   Seriously, what kind of a person throws a used diaper out the window of a moving car?

2. I was wearing short socks and the left one kept sliding down.   By the end of my walk, my shoe had rubbed the back of my ankle raw and I was bleeding pretty good.   When I got home I put some alcohol on it, then swore with some powerful intensity, and put a band-aid on it.  

Finally, I got a very strange email over the weekend.  No subject line.  It was from:  MR. "Tony" [sdsaf.34634@gmail.com] and addresses to my alias email address at work.    The content of the message was this:

Hi,
     Give me a call right now.

Regards
Tony 


That was it.   Now, I know a couple of people named Tony and neither of them would have used an address like that - nor left such an obscure message.     I did a look up of the address and couldn't find it.

So, clearly spam - but weird spam none the less.    No links, no embedded email.   Just the request to call - and no phone number.  

And there's that reference to Tony - a name I have considered using, but never have.  Could the message be from me - from the future?  Some kind of recursive temporal request?  Tachyon bombardment of the email server?  Was I trying to warn myself of something that was going to happen Saturday morning?

...

Nah, it was probably spam.

That's it for now, back to work...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to drop you a line to tell you about an email I received from sdsaf.34634@gmail.com as well.

It was completely unsolicited and I don't know the person sending the email at all. So, what does it say?

Hi,


How r you

r u Interesting for business meeting


Thank & Regard
Priya Singh

First, I don't know anyone by that name. Second, the english is terrible. Therefore, I believe this email is an attempt to search out real email addresses blindly. I imagine a computer sending out emails to any possible premutation of numbers and letters on a given domain. The emails are then tracked to see which bounce back and which do not. A list is generated and ultimately passed on to a spammer somewhere who then spams all of the true active emails on a given domain name.

Agreed?