Friday, January 02, 2009

new year, work, phone, HDMI

I watched the New Year's Eve show on CNN - and my only resolution this year is to not do it again next year. Even setting the massive technical difficulties aside, I still didn't enjoy the show - far too many cringe moments or massive sappiness. And then the ball dropped and I was like - "so?"

I just don't get the hype about New Year's - it just feels like some kind of arbitrary stopping point for a continually moving timestream. So, if I'm going to recognize that event at all - I think I need to have way more fun and move past my natural inclination to avoid the roads and drunken traffic - and get my ass to a party of some kind.

I'm back to work today and it wasn't as difficult to get back into the swing of things as I expected. There also wasn't a pile of work waiting for me as my infrequent vacations would usually have since everyone around here was gone too. So, that was nice. It should be pretty quiet around here since a lot of people are taking this as a vacation day.

I made a couple calls on my cell phone - and was annoyed by the sound quality and the dropped calls. Still, it was handy since the people I was calling weren't at home and I would have missed them if they didn't have cell phones. However, I was at home and could just as easily have called from my land line. So, a little silly on my part to use the cell phone, but if I'm paying for it, I might as well make use of it.

Got a new entertainment center for the living room TV - and of course ran into problems with the resetting up of the system. Seems the HDMI Cable alone won't carry an audio signal from either the cable box or the DVD player to the receiver. So, I had to use audio cables as well. Which annoyed me since it was so counter-intuitive. And because my room-mate had suggested it and then gloated a bit when it worked. The new entertainment center should keep all the components cooler and the setup is a bit more streamlined.

That's it for now - looking forward to getting back in the pool today at lunch.

later...

No comments: