Monday, May 15, 2006

visit, zoo, zips, totebag

Last Friday morning I woke up early to the sounds of my next door neighbors getting, umm...busy. Apparently I heard only the tail end of the festivities since within about 5 minutes of the last hurrah, I then heard their car start up and one of them drive away. So much for the afterglow.

I got up and got ready for work - and packed for my weekend trip to visit my folks. 8 hours later (after work) I'm on the road. The trip was mostly uneventful - though I did encounter a problem in columbus with a lane that I needed closed due to a semi stopped on the road. There were a bunch of people milling around the truck - as though they expected it to transform into a giant robot and run away. Or maybe they were just practicing putting up orange cones.

Finally got to my folks and had pizza while we watched the latest Harry Potter movie. Pretty good, but a little uneven.

Last Thursday I'd gone to a silent auction and won a gift basket - which mom really liked along with the hot tub pillow I'd gotten for her before. So, I scored a bunch of points this Mother's Day weekend.

On Saturday morning, Dad and I went and got some mulch and toured his garden. Both my parents have put a lot of work into the landscaping and it shows.

Saw my sister for a bit before she had to get ready for a wedding - then mom, dad and I headed north to the zoo. The gibbons were amazing, and the river otters are always fun. We didn't get to see too much before the sky opened up and rain started coming down. We made a quick exit and while waiting for the car, someone went past and said "Go Zips" to me since I was wearing my akron jacket. It was a little weird to see a zips fan outside their native enviroment.

From there - half priced bookstore. I was a little disappointed in their sci-fi selection, but the comics were excellent. I ended up spending slightly over $30 - which entitled me to a free tote bag. It was a neon yellow/green. I think it may have also glowed in the dark, but I haven't checked it out yet.

My sister and her boyfriend came over on Sunday for lunch - we did a little origmai and comeserated with mom's dog - who it turns out doesn't like the boyfriend and tends to bite - so the dog had to wear a muzzle. I thought she looked like a ninja, but it was clear she didn't like it - though eventually she got used to it.

The drive back home was uneventful - other than some rain. And the week I expect will be mostly ordinary. But, I'd better get back to work...

No comments: