Tuesday, May 09, 2006

pandora

I was using Wikipedia, one of my favorite sites, to look up info on the video game God of War. One of the items in the game is Pandora's Box - and Wikipedia had an article for the myth as well.

According to the site, there's some confusion as to the real story. Might have been a box, might have been a jar - might have been that the box and the woman were one.

In one version, Pandora opens the box and all the evils escape - but closes it so that only Hope is still trapped. In another, she traps Hope and lets it out later - with the idea that Hope is in the world, but it has some catching up to do.

The real question, I think, is what was Hope doing in a box of the evils of the world? I don't think they really answer that in the site article, but I believe that in some circumstances - Hope itself is evil.

No matter how terrible a person may feel, there's always Hope - and always a chance to have that Hope dashed. There's always a chance for things to get just that much worse.

So, I think by this point it should be clear that I'm not having a good week. Hell, I'm not sure that it's even been a good year - or any other band of tire.

Family: There's an underlying tension anymore and every time we talk about it - things get just a little bit worse. So, we don't talk about anything of consequence and the banality continues.

Relationship: I tried to show some honesty and caring recently - it went badly.

Work: After our 4.25 hour long meeting yesterday, we've finally got a plan of attack for our future - and given the current staffing and other resources, it's utterly impossible for us to succeed. Which, in a way, makes it a little easier- all we have to do now is fail with a little bit of style.

But hey, there's always hope, right? All I have to do, apparently, is keep my head down and shut my damn mouth and everything will work out.



(later)

Well, the relationship thing is little better after some email exchanges. Still not entirely comfortable at how things have gone, but it'll work out. Work is much the same - still in the dark, still up in the air, still doomed.

I've got an hour to go before I head out today - thinking about trying to get my ear done, get a haircut, and some new pants.

I guess that's it for today...

No comments: