Tuesday, May 03, 2005

The fundamental interconnectedness of all things...

Douglas Adams (also the author of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) wrote a book called "Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency" - which I read and enjoyed several years ago. My favorite part of the book was the afformentioned "fundamental interconnecteness of all things" - Dirk's theory that since everything is connected, whatever you do must be part of the solution to any problem. He applied this to navigation - whenever he got lost while driving he would just pick a car at random that looked like they knew where they were going. It might not take him to where he wanted to go - but it usually take him to where he really needed to be, since everything is connected.

Yesterday, while driving back from dropping off my rent check, I noticed that a police car had pulled someone over - though they were still totally blocking the lane I needed. I was annoyed by that, of course, but that's the subject of a differnt blog. The problem was a ways up from me, but I wasn't familier with the area enough to strike out on my own. The car in front of me made an abrupt right turn well before the stopped cars and looked like he knew where he was going.

So, I followed him. Subdivsions, backroads, hidden byways...all fell before our mighty navaigation endeavor. A few times I wanted to go off on my own - thinking that we were headed the wrong direction. But, I stuck with the "tFIoaT" and followed.

Things started to look familier and just before we got to the stop sign and turn I was looking for - he turned off into a driveway, leaving me with a clear shot to my turn and smooth sailing on home. I waved to him in thanks, though I don't know that he saw me.

This is the second time I've tried this - worked even better this time around. I think the secret is having a bit of extra time on your hands and just going with the moment.

So, thank you, stranger - you will never know it, but you helped me get home.

That's it for now - time to get back to work...

No comments: