Monday, December 06, 2004

deer ribs and the Jerky pistol

Helped a friend with some painting this past weekend in west virgina - while there, we went to Cabela's - the world formost outfitter.

Big store, very crowded, poorly organized. There's a ton of stuff to see, but nothing that I wanted to buy. Though, I must say, I was tempted by the Jerky pistol. Sort of like a calking gun, except that you load it up with meat and extrude it to then make jerky in a dehydrator. And I do love me some jerky. But, I resisted - mainly since I don't have either a meat grinder or a dehydrator - two essential components in making jerky.

On the way back, I saw several trucks with dead deer on them - hunting season, I expect. One unfortunate deer was arranged face up over the back spare tire of a jeep - legs splayed open. And torso flayed open. I glanced over and was looking directly at deer ribs. Not exactly a pleasent view.

The rest of the weekend was pretty good and reasonably quiet - though we were also kitten sitting Scooby (yes, I know that's a dog's name). This little fur-ball was all teeth and claws - which he loved to use. Then we bought a squirt-bottle. It didn't really help for more than 30 seconds at a time, but it was kinda fun.

That's it for now - back to work...

No comments: