Saturday, April 19, 2008

humanity in games

This is a little psychological to start, had some thoughts about humanity in games. I used to play Diablo 2 a lot and while it was a really fun game, it was still just a game. I rarely felt drawn into it in a single player mode. In my many times through the game, I only felt really a part of it playing a lightning magic user in the Difficult mode. Even with all the might this character could create - and she was very powerful - there were still times when I would have the character wander into an area and find an ambush of highly powerful ranged attack monsters. Just as power as she was and just as fast. And sometimes, either through random placement or the AI of the game - organized. Suddenly, the game went from "vaporise the slow-moving zombies from a distance" to "run from the skeleton fire-archers". And there was excitement and a little fear. And then the game really got fun again.

Tomb Raider has a few moments like this as well. The ambush of gorillas in the arena, the lions in the temple, the 'whatever-they-are" in the final levels. Those are quickly subdued and the brief rush of excitement fades when the twin guns start blazing. TR stands out for me for another reason - vertigo. There are a few shots where Laura Croft reaches a very tall point in the landscape and will invariably look down. Even in the original version of the game, with it's low resolution, the scene would trigger my fear of heights and I would carefully back Laura away from the edge even though she would calmly stand right there for hours on her own. Fear again, but of a different flavor.

There have been other games that sparked the "jump out at you" fear and at least one that sparked the vertigo as well - but I've now found a game that makes me tired.

My character in Divine Divinity had his teleport stones stolen, but since the game must go on, I sent him into the depths of a evil undead infested cave for treasure. Well we found a lot of treasure - and a quest with a promise of adventure. The problem is that the character can only carry so much at one time. When he carries over a certain limit, he can't run. And since he can't teleport, he can't drop off the treasure and exotic weapons he finds. So, the poor dude is wandering around the increasingly deep cave, loaded down with potentially expensive shields, fighting monsters and occasionally camping down there. Since he can't run at this point, it's a slow and almost painful walk . The character has a very limited range of actions and no emotional stance, but I can still feel for the guy. Heavy burden, no light at the end of the tunnel, increasing work and danger, endless battles, no shortcuts.

Sounds like work some days. While I've been writing this, I've been working on a plan to get him out of there and then come back for the loot. He's still got a ways to travel, but I think I've restored a little hope.

Back to the game... later

No comments: