Thursday, February 09, 2006

origami, racing, and dreams

I've made good progress on my Menger sponge project - finished up unit #300 last night. Still a long way to go before I can even start assembling the final form, but it's a good start.

Also played a bunch of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit last night. Earned a couple new cars in the game - pretty sweet.

Then I went to bed and the nightmares started. I took notes this morning of what I could remember...

1. Visiting my grandmother at her house. I go into the den/guest bedroom and find it's flooded with about 4 inches of water that, for some reason, doens't spill out into the rest of the house. Then I notice a small black worm that suddenly stretches toward me, flares it's front section, then flaps it like a manta ray and glides through the water toward me as it returns to normal. It's a leech, it's on the hunt, and it's looking for me. Prudently, somewhat girl-y, I jump up on a weight bench and call for help. When help arrives, they see the leech glide under the bed to hide. Rather than waste time trying to capture it, Grandma decides that she doesn't really need that room and - after getting me out - has the room sealed up forever.

2. Dad has decided he doesn't have enough space to work on projects and rents several hundred thousand square feet of space in a warehouse. I go to visit him and he's busy building shelves. He's already built hundreds of floor to ceiling shelves and the place is a maze of empty wooden shelves. I get lost trying to find the exit and the bathroom.

3. I'm in a cemetary and notice a well cooked beef steak sitting on a plate on top of a gravestone. I get a little closer and realize, somehow, that it's not beef - it's human.

4. I'm in a strange bathroom, maybe a hotel - and I'm trying to figure out how to use the facilites with the toilet nearly full of water and the lid partially closed - without making a mess.

Brief intermission as I get up and use my normal bathroom for real.

5. I'm at work and we're trying to track down a virus that has a graphic interface - we can actually see it eat files like a little blob on the screen. We discover it on one machine - then realize it's already spread to every machine in the School of Law.

6. I'm playing Need for Speed - but this time I'm actually in the game, behind the wheel of one of the cars. I'm racing the Desert Canyon track against one other car - trying to beat them to qualify for the next track. The other car is all over the road and I can't get past them. I finally make my move and pull up alongside them - and it's Paris Hilton talking on her pink cell phone with her dog yapping at my from the passenger side of the car.


Back to reality - this morning I glanced in the mirror and realized that if I let my beard get to long, there's a huge patch of white/gray hair on one side of my chin. It looks a little odd, but I was running late and didn't have time to trim it.

So, I grabbed a coke and an apple and headed out the door. Spent far too long scraping off my car, said hello to my neightbor and came to work.

And now it's time to get back to it...

No comments: