Tuesday, June 12, 2007

belt, driveway, blood drive

Bought a new belt recently - the old one, while reversable, was in bad shape. And I've lost a bit of weight, so it made sense to get a new one. Took me a while to find one I liked, but when I did, I thought it was broken. There was no metal bit that rotates and and gets inserted in the hole of the leather. Instead, there's a short post on the opposite side that the leather locks into. It's a little odd, but it works well and it remarkably quiet. Not that I really need a "stealth" belt in the normal course of my day or night - but still interesting.

The landlord is finally getting the driveway fixed - we'd had a section near the road that was gravel instead of concrete because they were doing work on the drainage ditch. It's now going to be replaced with concrete. Along with the next door neighbors. Take note of that little factoid, it will be important later. We've been told that it will take FIVE days before it's drivable - which seems excessive to me. And it's been suggested that we park over on a side street, where we are almost certain to be hit - or to carefully drive across the grass to get to our garage. Remember when I said the next door neighbors were having theirs done too? Yep - we have to drive across essentially three lawns to get to our garage - and no shortcuts since the ditch is impassible.

The work was supposed to start today and I'm prepared to be annoyed. In fact, I think I'm already getting warmed up for my annoyance when I get home.

In other news, I went and gave blood last night. I had an appointment, and I was a few minutes early - and it went faster than I've ever had. The only thing that slowed us down was the computer and the printer - everything else was quick and very efficient. They had a movie going, which was loud and distracting, but otherwise it was pretty standard - though very quick like I said.

And then afterwards - I got tired. So very tired. I had gone swimming yesterday at lunchtime - not sure if that was a factor or not. In any case, I was sluggish the rest of the evening and went to bed early and slept very soundly.

That's about it for now...later...

No comments: